Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Art of Marriage

While clearing some of my old stuff, I came across this poster that I bought 25 years ago. On it is this beautiful poem on The Art of Marriage:

It is never being too old to hold hands.
It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once each day.
It is never going to sleep angry.
It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
It is standing together facing the world.
It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.
It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.
It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.
It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.
It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.
It is not only marrying the right person -
It is being right partner.


Every time I read this poem, it gives me the sense of peace within me. Now that the poster is tattered and torn, I am going to discard it. Nonetheless, I will always treasure the message it implies, especially the last sentence of being the right partner.

Having been married for 25 years and being parents of 4 children, we have always cherished each other's companionship. Although we do not say "I love you" every day, in our hearts, we do. As Singapore is in the Asian region, people in this part of the world are rather conservative and we like to keep it that way.




No comments: