Monday, March 12, 2007

Book Fair Fiesta (1)



Today is the 4th day of the Bras Basah Complex Book Fair. Usually, I am the consumer, i.e one at the receiving end. For the past 4 days, it had been an entirely different experience, manning the booth and being at the giving end.

First, we get to meet all sorts of people, not just Singaporeans but also foreigners:
  • Old folks just walking around to pass time;
  • Grandparent(s) with their grandchild(ren) while their parents are at work;
  • Parents with their children scouting for books and other stuff;
  • Adults working nearby dropping by during lunch and after work;
  • Tourists who somehow found their way there for sale items;
  • Others who are book lovers and are there to catch good bargains.
And guess what, unless they are interested in what we have to offer, they will quickly brush us off and rush off. Nonetheless, I am glad that my team maintained good spirit and always don a smile on their face. The sculpture balloons are popular with kids. Some even came back for more. One Japanese lady even wanted to learn and ask that I teach her. Of course, I gladly did so.

Then, we were also being asked interesting questions by passers-by:
  • May I know where is the toilet?
  • Do you know where is the post office?
  • Where is UOB?
  • Do you know which book store sell a particular series of Chinese books?
  • Can you tell me where is the National Library?
  • Can you tell me how to go to Beach Road?
  • Do you know where I can get human skeleton model?
  • Do I make payment here? (Our booth happens to be next to Popular stalls)
I am sure the remaining 6 days will be equally exciting. Will keep you people posted. . .

No comments: